It's the sole reason for EVE Online’s existence some might say… Indeed, the act of scamming in EVE is as old as the game itself. CCP are famous for promoting this type of “emergent gameplay”. For newer players though, lack of knowledge about game mechanics can mean a ruined new-player-experience and a loss of interest in the game.
All new players should know the first rule of EVE:
Never fly what you can’t afford to lose.
Words to live by, but it’s astonishing how many people voluntarily ignore this rule. There’s a point where you get blasé about reading “I quit” forum threads because some carebear their shiny officer-fit mission runner or jump freighter popped by ebil piwates.
What only some EVE websites will tell you is that there is a second rule to EVE:
Everybody Lies.
Or, alternatively:
Don’t trust anybody.
Or
If it’s too good to be true, it’s probably a scam.
Yeah, OK, I basically repeated myself three times but still... I mentioned in my introductory post about a friend that “wanted a game I can be a dick in”. This is reflective of a great many players in EVE but particularly those who scam. People scam because in-game anonymity segues so easily into Schadenfreude, tears, and sociopathic fantasies.
I’ve summarised the different types of scams, how they’re conducted and how to spot them on this dedicated blog page:
Spotting a Scam - What to look for
I think I’d be happy if even one noob reads it and as a result avoids getting scammed.


No comments:
Post a Comment